Joint disease affects approximately 22% of the U.S. population and is the leading cause of work disability in the country. Various forms of joint disease include osteoarthritis, gout, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, along with several others.
Osteoarthritis specifically is the most common joint disease and can affect common places such as the hips and knees, or more specific spots including synovial membranes and periarticular tissues. This condition is characterized by pain, stiffness, swelling, and lack of flexibility.
The burden of joint disease costs Americans over $300 billion annually and prevents them from performing simple tasks such as grasping small objects, walking up stairs, kneeling down, or reaching above one’s head. Joint disease can be a barrier to physical activity, and that can eventually lead to obesity, diabetes, and forms of cardiovascular disease.
Joint Rx was designed to add more youth to the joints and promote free movement again. This product will help to delay the natural aging process within joints. Type 2 collagen and hyaluronic acid renew and protect cartilage; Curcumin and boswelia assist in pain and inflammation control; and cissus primarily functions to provide protection for bones.
Collagen is the most abundant protein of mammals and has specific connective tissue types for skin, bones, cell surfaces, and much more. Type 2 collagen (UC-2) composes the main structure of cartilage tissue and is derived from chicken sternum cartilage. A key feature of UC-2 consists of its high levels of the essential amino acids glycine and proline. These two amino acids are essential for the renewal and stability of cartilage tissues.
- A study where humans were given UC-2 10mg/day for 42 days resulted in a reduction of pain, less stiffness, without producing any adverse events.
- Another human study compared UC-2 40mg/day to 1500mg of glucosamine combined with 1200mg of chondroitin. UC-2 treatment was found to be two fold more effective when decreasing all the assessments from the baseline at 90 days.
- Daily supplementation with UC-2 40mg/day found to be well tolerated and led to improved knee joint extension, and also showed the potential of increasing the period of pain-free strenuous exertion and lessen the joint pain from that.
Curcumin is the main active component of the popular herb turmeric that has been used in Asian countries to treat conditions such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and arthritis. Research conducted in the last 50 years has proven the majority of turmeric’s effects are due to curcumin. This unique herb of the ginger family acts as an antioxidant due to its unique chemical structure (beta-diketone group). Curcumin exhibits its anti-inflammatory effects primarily by 2 pathways: COX-2 inhibition and decreasing (thebnuclear factor-kBeta) NF-kBeta . In comparison to NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen and Aleve, they work by inhibiting COX-1 and COX-2. The downside with blocking COX-1 is the likeliness for GI ulcers and intestinal bleeding. Since Curcumin does not affect the COX-1 pathway, the risk of GI bleeding is not possible.
- 2013 osteoarthritis study with 30 patients for 12 weeks using 500mg of Curcumin/day resulted in increased walking distance and decreased joint tenderness.
- 2010 osteoarthritis study with 100 patients for 32 weeks using 200mg/day of Curcumin lead to increased walking distance, increased mobility, and a decrease in NSAID use.
- A combination of other studies have shown that Curcumin also decreases inflammatory markers such as Interlukin-1Beta, CRP (C-Reactive Protein), IL-6, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), along with many others.
- A pilot clinical study investigated Curcumin in RA patients, and it showed an improvement in overall DAS (disease activity score) and ACR (American college of rheumatology) scores. The treatment from Curcumin also reduced the stiffness and swelling in the joints of RA patients.
Boswellic acid is the active ingredient in Boswellia serrata and has shown significant pharmacological activity in the treatment of various inflammatory diseases such as RA, bronchitis, and asthma. Not only does this compound have anti-arthritis and anti-inflammatory properties, but it also decreases pain levels and improves physical function. Boswellia exerts its main effects via inhibiting 5-lipoxygenase, which in turn prevents various pro-inflammatory molecules from becoming active.
- A meta-analysis composed of 7 RCTs concluded that Boswellia and its extract may relieve the pain, stiffness, and improve the joint’s function. These 7 studies used doses ranging from 100-250mg/day. These studies showed the benefits occur after 4 continuous weeks of usage.
- A study using 250mg/day of boswellia had a significant effect in lowering VAS score by 12.18% and WOMAC function score by 14.38% in OA patients as early as 7 days after the start of treatment.
- A combo of Curcumin 350mg + Boswellia 150mg twice a day proved to be more effective compared to Celebrex 100mg given twice a day.
Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced by our bodies and are most abundant in your skin, eyes, and connective tissues. It helps to retain water within your tissues to keep them lubricated and hydrated. In addition to its ability to provide joint relief, hyaluronic acid can also be very beneficial in treating dry and aging skin.
- When 80mg of HA was ingested daily for 8 weeks, physical function and total symptoms subscales of the WOMAC scores improved in comparison to the control group (no treatment).
- A study of Hyaluronic acid 60mg/day using the JOA (Japan orthopedic association) score of knee OA patients significantly improved at the conclusion of the 16 week study. The improvement was obvious with patients who performed therapeutic exercises in conjunction with HA therapy.
- A double-blind trial of HA 80mg/day in 68 healthy individuals with mild joint discomfort resulted in a significant improvement of joint pain, synovial effusion, and knee muscular strength.
Cissus quadrangularis is a plant of the grape family that has been used in African and Thai medicine for its benefits joint pain, osteoporosis, as well as wounds. Known as the “Bone Setter”, this compound reduces inflammation, improves functionality, and promotes osteoblasts function. This compound inhibits Interlukin-1Beta induced inflammatory responses to inhibit prostaglandins and provide its numerous effects. Cissus also contains Vitamin A and C that aids in the formation of collagen.
- A Dose of 300mg/day produced a significant reduction in pain, swelling, and mobility at fracture site and was also effective for bone regrowth.
AstraGin is a fully natural compound that is used to increase absorption of essential nutrients, leading to a healthy gut environment. This nutraceutical is extracted from the Astragalus membranaceus and Panax notoginseng plant. Various studies have shows that AstraGin can improve absorption of curcumin (92% increase), fish oil (100% increase), and a variety of amino acids. This impressive compound produces its benefits by up-regulating the expression levels of absorption transporter mRNA and proteins, which includes CAT1, GLUT4, and SGLT1. Ginsenosides are an active component in AstraGin that activates the mTOR signal pathway to provide more efficient muscle growth and recovery. Other noticeable effects to expect from AstraGin are repairs to damaged and inflamed intestinal walls, promote the healthy microbiota (“good bacteria”) in the gut, support stronger immune functions, and increase the production of the energy-producing compound ATP by 18%.
BioPerine is extracted from black pepper fruits (Piper nigrum) and is standardized to a minimum 95% Piperine (the compound that gives pepper its “hot” taste). BioPerine has the capability to increase the absorption of various nutrients such as curcumin (2000%), CoQ10 (30%), and Vitamin B6 (250% increase). It is proposed BioPerine functions as a CYP3A4 inhibitor and P-glycoprotein inhibitor to increase bioavailability. The inhibition of these enzymes and reflux pumps allows the vitamins and nutrients you are consuming to remain in your body longer, and at higher doses. A thermonutrient, like BioPerine, also enhances absorption due to thermogenesis (a key factor in weig management).
Serving Size: 4 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Va|ue*|
|Cissus Quadrangularis Extract
|Turmeric Extract (95% Curcuminoids)
|Boswellia Serrata Extract
(65% Boswellic Acids)(resins)
|Hyaluronic Acid (from Sodium Hyaluronate)||100 mg||**|
|AstraGin°(As tragulus & panax notoginseng)||50 mg||**|
|UC-II° Undenatured Type II Collagen||40 mg||**|
|Black Pepper Extract (Piper nigrum)
|* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Daily Value not established